Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Finally... Internet (part 1-- Monday)

27 april 2009 10:22pm

I don’t have internet yet, and the dumb neighbors have locked theirs so I can’t get into them. Ugh. So I’m typing this on Word and going to send it as soon as I have internet. Hopefully that’ll be tomorrow morning. I’m planning on going to Starbucks for coffee and internet because I forgot to buy coffee today.

The drive was fine. I hit rain lots of the way, but it wasn’t too bad. Having the GPS really helped. I didn’t worry at all about where to go. I’m going to go all over and hopefully learn the town (or at least the sections I need to know) with it whenever I can. So. This place doesn’t smell like home and since I’m so affected emotionally by scents, it was a hard day. Not having furniture or anything at all really doesn’t help, either. It just doesn’t feel like mine. It also doesn’t feel like I’m going to start a new job in a week. Maybe I’m here on vacation or something—at least it seems that way. And I just happen to be vacationing on an air mattress in an empty house with no furniture. I feel kind of like I’m in a dream. And I hate to say it, but a bad dream. I know it’ll get easier as I get used to the area, but I already miss people so much and I didn’t think moving would affect me so much.

Here’s my today:

As soon as I came into Dallas, I called the leasing office. The guy for me wasn’t there, so I left a message and drove around the area where I knew the office was, waiting for a reply. I figured I would get the money orders I needed while I waited, so I watched the GPS and found a grocery store coming up. I turned on my blinker, and looked to the right and the whole darn plaza—all of the store names were written in Chinese!! I turned my blinker off and continued down the street. A few miles (or less) down the road was a gas station. I stopped there, got the money orders, and let the dogs out. Well, Maya had been irritating me so she stayed in the car. Bella got out and didn’t go potty, but she walked all around. Then when it was time to head to the office, she DID NOT want to get in the car. I don’t blame her. Poor thing had just spent 4.5 hrs curled up asleep in the car. Anyways, I got her in there, went and met the agent, and he didn’t even have my keys. They were running late with house stuff, so the people doing the re-keying were still there. Um, I guess they were done and just didn’t have a chance to get the key to him yet. They left it in the mailbox for me so all I had to do was turn in some papers then go to my new place.

When I got there, the cleaning ladies were still there. They said all they had left to do was mop the place and I told them it was okay, that I would take care of it later. I would have loved it if someone else mopped for me, but I had my poor doggies in the car and they needed to get OUT. I checked the fence (it needs some work but they’ll be okay supervised for now) and took them outside. Well, when I went outside, I found out that the back screen door automatically locks when you shut it. Rats. So I had to wade through water about ankle deep while holding bel’s collar and drag her back through the front door (good thing I had my keys with me!). I checked out the door and it looks like nothing I can change. I’ll just have to watch that, and have my dad or uncle look at it when they come over. I brought a few things in from the car, but just a suitcase, my hamper and whatever was in it, a pillow… some little things like that.

I then left the dogs at the house (and prayed that they would be okay in the new surroundings without me—at least there wasn’t anything for them to tear up yet!) and headed to this one street that the agent said had “everything” on it—sam’s, walmart, home depot, big lots, everything. He was right. Side note: I’m home and don’t remember how to get back there. While I was on that road (Garland?) I called my uncle to let him know I’m in town and headed to his place. He lives about 45 minutes away from me so I started heading there around 4. Traffic wasn’t bad. I know I was just at the early part of it, but it was okay. Honest. I got to his house, and he could have been my daddy’s twin! They look so much alike. I haven’t seen Uncle George for 11 years, but our family is so close that it could have been yesterday, the way he greeted me. I love family. I love having family close when I’m going through this. We chatted until Aunt Toni came home, then George cooked while Toni and I talked. I love them both. Uncle George made some kind of shake-and-bake chicken, but I bet the crust stuff was all homemade. He also made those potatoes that you cube up and top with olive oil and seasonings then bake, and a salad. After dinner, Toni took me shopping. I needed to get an air mattress, and I know AeroBed is amazing. Mom and dad have had one for something like 8-9 years and it doesn’t have holes or anything. PLUS, you just plug it in for about a minute for it to inflate. Awesome. I also got a rug for the front door, as it was raining and I came in with wet shoes onto tile and it was pretty darn slippy. Oh and I got one of those things you hang over the shower head to hold shampoo and everything. Another side note: when I came home to put that on the shower head, the shower head came off. Like completely fell off. I don’t have a shower and will be calling the leasing company FIRST THING tomorrow. Ugh. I also got some candles because, like I said, this place doesn’t smell like home. It must have been the cleaner they used or something. It just is different. Not bad at all. Just different. I apparently don’t do well with different. We also stopped by the pet store so I could get some bones for the doggies to make up for leaving them for so long on the first day. When we got back to their house, Uncle George had made up a bag of leftover food and all sorts of goodies for me to take home. So sweet!

I came home and unloaded some more stuff. I took all the dog things out of the car, of course the bags from George and Toni, my computer (duh), and ironing board. Oh, and all the stuff I bought. I fed and watered the doggies (they were so thirsty, poor things. Don’t turn me into PETA for abandoning my dogs please) then took the cooler in the house and took my shoes out of it so I could run and get some ice for it. It’s my little makeshift fridge. I put all the food from George and Toni into it (oh, they gave me a bunch of fresh fruit and I’m sooo happy about that!) then started getting ready for bed. Made up the Aerobed (yay! It’s super comfy!) and got dressed in jammies and am now laying in bed. Oh, I forgot to say that I got bel a bed. She’s never had a bed because they don’t make them in her size, unless you want to spend like $200. I found one at the pet store that is just that egg carton style mattress pad in a zip-up cover. And it was only $20! Woo hoo! And it’s her size! Super. So she’s still eating on her bone (on her bed!) while I’m laying in my bed with Maya curled up with me. She just finished her bone. I’m so ready for bed. It was a long, emotional day. I started not too early, about 630, but I’ve been in the car ALL day and with everything going on… plus, it IS 11pm. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about getting up too early this week. I’m going to start on Wednesday going to work in the mornings, so I can judge what time I’ll need to leave the house to get there on time. Start after rush hour so I can find the route, then by Friday go at what time I think I have to leave and see if it gets me to work on time. Wish me luck. I also am meeting with the girl who leads the women’s singles group at Prestonwood sometime this week. We’re supposed to meet up at the church for lunch or something and so she can show me around. I need to call her tomorrow. I need to call a lot of people tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I still have internet set up at my house. My house in Sheridan. Doesn’t do me much good here, does it?!

Well, I will write daily for a while. After all, I don’t have anything else to do. They might not get sent daily, but will as a group when I get internet. Actually, I might just go to Starbucks every morning this week. We’ll see how it goes. PLEASE write back, as I do have internet on my phone. It’s just a pain to type this much on my phone and I knew I had a lot to say tonight because of the whole “first day” thing.

Oh, and come visit. Soon. I need reinforcements :-)

I’ll be back in Sheridan before long I’m sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

now it's your turn.