Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 3

Day 3

This one is going to be short.  It's all of 8:30pm, and I'm exhausted.

I started the day wandering by my hotel alone, going down neat alleyways into fun shops… then Simon called and we went out.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was a fun shopping area, where there aren't cars or scooters on the street, so you can go without being killed.  Fun stuff.  I bought some Suzhou candy—it looks like pepperoni, but tastes like a crunchy-ish fruit rollup.  It has so much sugar in it, I ate two and was okay, and it comes with a lot.  Simon paid for his handmade new coat, and I picked one out.  More later.  We ate lunch at a noodle place, where I had udon vegetable soup, and ate the soup with chopsticks.  I'm starting to get okay at it, as long as someone shows me a trick for the slippery foods.

Then we went to a place called Thousand Year Road (I think), which is like the oldest part of Suzhou.  It was neat.  There used to be a big wall surrounding the city, and there's still a portion left of it—the gate part.  I got to see that from a distance.  I think you can go closer but we didn't this time.  I got a drink that was like a Lipton green tea, but it was obviously a Chinese brand, and it was chrysanthemum tea.  It was awesome.  Then we (Simon and I) met up with Tyler who had just come in from Beijing.  We ate dinner at a hot pot place, where they cook broth at your table and you dip in things and cook them just a bit then eat them.  The chopsticks were longer at this place, so you didn't burn your hands over the steam of the broth.  Oh, I had my very first encounter with *real* China toilets.  Ken, if you're reading this, I totally thought of you and the squatty potty :-)

It was freezing by the time we left, so we grabbed a cab back to the first area that Simon and I shopped at, so he could pick up his coat.  I got measured for a coat, and am having it made.  It's a sort of mix between a pea and a trench coat, really cute, so dark grey it's nearly black, with a kind of brown lining.  It's going to have a cotton lining in the middle to make it warmer.  Oh, the outside is wool, the inside is silk, it's handmade, and it cost me about $100.  So exciting.  Then we all left home.  Well, Tyler and I rode together cause we stay in the same hotel.

The end.  I'm tired.  I'm trying to send some pictures with this one.  I hope it works.  Leann, I'm also emailing you the pictures so that if it doesn't post, you can just go ahead and add them.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself so far. Glad to see the pics too. How fun to get a custom made coat for $100. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics showed up. Still wondering how you eat soup with chopsticks...

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.