Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 4

Day 4

I woke up at the normal time (5:30-ish) and was able to go back to sleep for about 2 hours.  Woke up, had fruit bread for breakfast with coffee, then chatted with leann and chris on skype.  After, called mom and gramma on skype.  Talked for a little while, then I got ready to leave the hotel room.  Started just walking—it's amazing what I see.  I want to one day bring my camera and use it as a video camera so that you can all see what I see… but I'm not sure how that will be received by the people here, ya know?  Some of them still stare at me when I'm walking down the street.

I went out with a mission this time—buy some gloves.  I just wanted cheap ones, like those one-size-fits-all walmart gloves.  I had to search for them using hand motions because no one in the shopping area near me speaks English.  It's a whole different world here.  Anyway, I ended up finding this sort of flea market/craft fair/mall type thing.  A bunch of people set up shop in this dark huge area.  There was even a second floor, but I didn't go far.  I found my gloves.  And the lady told me how much by using fingers.  They were supposed to be 15 yuan, but I didn't have any small bills but for 10 yuan, so she accepted that.  It means I spent a whole buck fifty on gloves.  They're simple and cute.  Chocolate brown, with blue argyle on the back, and they're fingerless.  I like them enough.  On the way back, they were a bunch of people sewing, sitting really close together, crammed in a small building.  There were even people outside.  I don't know if it was Chinese labor, or if they were like, fixing people's suits.

I came back to my hotel for lunch.  I need to eat something.  I got homemade noodles to go from the place we ate yesterday, cause apparently that's what they do there.  You buy noodles, and they give you noodles.  So I'm going to cook them in my kettle and see how they are.  Sort of like ramen, but way better.

I so messed them up.  Overflowed my kettle, overcooked the noodles… gah.

Did nothing after getting my gloves.  Finally turned on the tv, and found a few channels in English.  HBO, Cinemax, and there's nothing on.  Also, National Geographic.  I was on that for a lot of the day.  I just got back from the Kedi, which is like a convenience store.  Has food only.  I couldn't even buy chopsticks.  BUT, when I returned to my hotel, they found plastic forks for me.  Yay!  I also bought pringle-style chips, and I couldn't really tell what flavor they are, because it's obviously not written in English.  I think a sort of bbq.  They're good!  I also got two Ramens, Tyler called them staples.  I call them 14 cents.  Cause seriously, that's how much they cost.  I got a diet coke also.  And I only know that because I know the grey and red label.

It's all of 4:55 and I'm exhausted.  It's starting to get dark outside.  Sorry I don't have any pictures to add.  I'll hopefully have more tomorrow.

I just found ESPN!  Watching the game between Texas Tech and Baylor.

 

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Inwas watching a bit of that Tech/Baylor game yesterday! You know they played here at Cowboys Stadium. Haha! That's so cool that we were watching the same game. :-) Hopefully you'll be able to see a bit of a Steelers game over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you better find some chopsticks for me and a "real" china mug

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.