Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 12

Day 12

Work was productive.  My favorite part of the day was when I was in the lab, because for a minute, I forgot that I was in China.

After work, Tyler pointed me in the direction of some places to eat.  I must have walked over a mile before I found what he was talking about.  I kept looking in the windows of places because I was hoping to find one with a lot of pictures so that I could just point at what I want.  It's difficult to communicate with anyone outside of shopping in Shanghai, or just my hotel lobby.  As I'm not finding a place to eat, I found a pharmacy instead.  I went in and coughed for the girl, and she gave me some medicines.  Two, actually.  But the problem is, they're all written in Chinese!  So I have no idea how to take them or anything.  I will continue this part of the story later.

I started heading back towards the hotel, and passed what Tyler called some kind of Chinese fast-food.  Figured I'd try it out.  No one there spoke English, they didn't have a picture menu, and they didn't have a menu in English.  Well, that's easy to figure out—I just handed them 15 yuan and shrugged my shoulders.  They pointed to a table, then brought out my food (see, I told you this would work).  I ended up with a sort of spring roll/ egg roll, a bowl of rice, and a soup that had pork, clear jellyfish-style noodles, I think squid, a few kinds of seaweed, and some other things that I couldn't identify.  It was pretty darn tasty, actually.

More heading towards the hotel, and I stopped in a super market.  They sold everything from bath products to chocolate to purses and bras.  I picked up some lavender bath milk, some "milk teas" (not sure what they are, but they look tasty), a dove candy bar, and a gallon of orange juice to add to my vanilla protein-style mixer that Tara gave me.

Finally, I arrived back at the hotel.  I went straight up to the counter and asked the cheerful guy there how I should take my medicines.  Well, one is actually Levaquin.  If you know anything about pharmacy, that's a pretty awesome antibiotic.  I'm not infected like that, so I'm hanging on to that one.  Who cares that it's not really FDA approved? Ha!  The other is called Fufang Jiegeng Zhikepian.  It's for cough, and the boy told me to take 3-4 pills three times a day.  He was so cute.  He kept apologizing while he looked up words to tell me.  He said he was so nervous because he has bad English—it was great English!  The people down the road don't speak any!

I have a busy week planned.  Back to Thousand Year Road tomorrow, then to the tailor on Wednesday to pick up my coat.  I still need to buy a few things for people back home, and then I'm saving the rest of my money hopefully.  I'm a bit homesick.  If you read this, leave a comment.  Sign it, if you do it anonymously.  I need to know there are Americans still out there!  Plus, I miss everyone tons.  TONS.  And I miss my doggies.  And my boyfriend.  Chris, thanks for taking care of my pups and my house while I'm gone.  Can't wait to come home and have a belated Christmas with you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go try out my lavender bath milk, eat a dove bar, and read a book in the bath.  Ahhh… what a tough life I live…

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're so homesick. But glad you got some medicine! I can't imagine how tough it is to communicate with people who don't understand your language at all. But sounds like you're getting the hang of it. As I read your post, the baby moved...I figured you'd be excited about that. I'll let you know as soon as we find out if it's a boy or a girl. You're not gonna be too disappointed if it's a boy, are you? :P

    Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Baby. You are so brave! I would be freaking out with the food thing. Jelly fish style noodles? Not on your life sister!

    Sorry you are so homesick, but we are really enjoying your blog. It seems to us that time is really flying, but I bet it's dragging to you. A couple of weeks would have been plenty of time there, right?

    Anyway, we are all thinking about you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of the medicine, but it almost sounds like you made it up. I LOVED talking with you this morning. I am glad to see you are a little better. I took copies of your blog to work so that the girls could read it. Talk to you soon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.