Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 9

Day 9

Today is the first day I was truly homesick.  I must have had a bad dream or something—cause even waiting on the street corner for the bus, I felt like everyone was staring at me, like I didn't belong.  Well, doesn't help that I'm still feeling sick.  I was actually excited to see my British friend, because I knew he wouldn't stare. 

I took Tylenol Cold this morning, and I felt great until about 11:30.  Then I started feeling sick again.  I still feel sick.  I feel like my head is about to explode, and I have a horrible, deep cough… want to know the secret to making a free trip to China suck?  Get a cold while you're there.  All I want is crackers and chicken soup.  And mindless tv.  And I have none of that.  I'm going to put a movie on my laptop and eat chicken-flavored ramen.  I even left work early to rest tonight, opting out of dinner with everyone else.  I have to get my rest, because tomorrow's going to be a 14-hour day; we are going on a shopping/sight-seeing trip to Shanghai, and there's no way I want to miss that.  It's all of 4:40 in the afternoon, and I will probably (hopefully?) be in bed by around 7 at the latest.

Work was good.  For the first time, when I walked into the room, two techs greeted me with "Hi, Erin"—it felt really good.  Some of them that weren't speaking much English to me in the beginning are now speaking more.  They understand more than they let on.  Sometimes you just have to go a little slower with them.  I'm getting to know their names.  There's Li Shusheng, Wang Fuqiang, Hu Xuan, Xue Bin, Mei Min, Pan Huaqing, and a girl that I can't pronounce or spell her name.  I don't' know the names in Chinese characters, just in English letters for now.  I'm working on it.  I figure with them knowing my name and saying hi to me and all, I better make a good effort to know who's who.

That's it for today.  I'm off to early bed with hot tea and a movie.

I miss everyone.  For real.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

now it's your turn.