Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DE-lish. One weekly goal down.

I tackled one and a half of my weekly goals today. I started to clean my desk. I did a pretty good job. Actually, I cleaned it all up, but didn't finish the whole bit of work that I need to take care of, so no pictures til that's done.

However, I did try a new recipe. I made Roasted Tomato and Ravioli Soup.
It. Was. Phenomenal.


Here's how you can have some of this deliciousness at home:

2 pints cherry tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes)
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
olive oil (I didn't have any, so used vegetable oil)
1 container chicken stock (~4 cups)
1 lb fresh cheese ravioli, found in the deli section
fresh basil
2 chopped scallions, green and white parts (apparently, the same thing as green onions. I learned this today.)
fresh parmesan cheese

  • In a large soup pot, put some oil to cover the bottom of the pan, add chopped or crushed garlic and all the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Heat over medium-high heat until the tomatoes burst and there is a thick tomato juice in the pot. It takes about 10 minutes.
  • Add the chicken stock and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Add the ravioli and cook until done, 3-4 minutes per package directions. Remove from heat.
  • Rip up the basil (~1 cup) and wilt in the soup. Stir in the chopped scallions. Serve in shallow bowls, topped with large pieces of shredded parmesan cheese.

The recipe recommended serving with chunks of thick bread to dip in, but instead, I made my own garlic bread:
Cut wheat french loaf at an angle, so that slices are ~1 inch thick. Toast. Rub the toasted slices on one side with a bruised clove of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with parsley and fresh parmesan cheese. Put under the broiler (set on low) for just about a minute.

Serve soup, bread, and a leafy green salad. You will eat this more than once, I guarantee. I am already looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow, and to keeping this in the "frequently-used recipes" file. For sure.

1 comment:

  1. That actually sounds good, minus the scallions. You know me and onions don't get along.

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.