Wednesday, February 3, 2010

how to save a life...

...in under 30 minutes.

I'm not channeling The Fray here, just telling you how you can seriously save a person. A real, live person. Someone that will live, thanks to you.

[edit: I totally look like I'm wearing a necktie. I'm not. It's a scarf. I didn't realize this before I posted this picture]

Did you know...
- 1 pint of blood can save up to three people?
- every two seconds, someone in the US needs blood?
- the average adult has 10 pints of blood in their body?
- less than 38% of the US population is eligible to give blood?
Doesn't that last one hit you? Approximately 1 in 3 people can even donate at all. But everyone has the possibility of needing it. If you're lucky enough to be ABLE to donate, you should do it. Period.

I seriously thought I wasn't able to give blood. If you've never given, I'll even give you my reasons-- maybe it'll help you make a decision.
* I've got an adrenal disorder, a heart condition, and an autoimmune disease.
* I take 18 medications. Eighteen. EIGHTEEN! (and none of them are on the exclusion list!)
* I've visited China.

And look. After all that, I'm able to donate. You can bet that I'll be in line to donate every three months, when the bus comes to campus to get you to donate.

If you're unsure about whether you are allowed to donate or not, go give it a try. There are two places that you can be excluded, based on health history and current condition. Actually, I had to place a cold bottle on the back of my neck because my pulse was too high-- because of my heart condition-- but it got within the range and I was allowed to give. Yay!

Bonus: you totally get free cookies, juice, a t-shirt, entered in a raffle to win tons of gift certificates, and you get a gift card to a book store. So, it's kinda like they pay you. They PAY you to SAVE A LIFE.

Think about it.

seriously.

5 comments:

  1. I tried freshman year. I have wimpy veins and they poked and prodded until I felt the needle in my eyeballs and the head nurse came over and couldn't get my blood to consistently flow. Just. Can't. Do. It.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't in a while but should. I really think the feeling right after they stick you is kinda cool when your whole arm kind of warms up from it. I know I'm weird but so what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to give blood too, although I haven't in several years. I even used to give when I was technically "underweight" in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the post, totally agree

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.