Friday, July 23, 2010

delicious, always fresh, freezer corn!

I was browsing through grocery ads yesterday, and found some great deals at Newflower (Sunflower everywhere but TX) Market. Here's what I was able to snag for amazing deals:


15 tomatoes, 20 key limes, package of mint, two cucumbers, two pounds of carrots, and 10 corn cobs for...

drumroll please...

$9.12. Nine dollars and twelve cents. Know why? Cause they're all in season. awesome.
And I have plans for all of it. I'm making scalloped tomatoes with croutons on Sunday, and need a lot of tomatoes for that. I'm cutting the carrots into carrot sticks for snacks with lunches. I'm putting the cucumbers, limes, and mint in water to make flavored summer cucumber water for Sunday's dinner.

and the corn... oh, the corn. This is what I did with the corn:


Shucked it. Cleaned off all the strings i could get.


Cut it all off the cob, and mix with some water, some sugar, and some salt. I also added some parsley, just for color. Mix well, then get to a rolling boil and remove from the heat until it reaches room temperature.


After it's cooled, spoon the corn and some water into baggies and freeze individually. When you want to have it for dinner, just take a bag out of the freezer and heat either in the microwave or on the stove.

I did a taste test while it was cooling, and this is probably the best corn I've ever had. It gets the fresh taste of the summer corn, with a mix of sweet and salty that can't be beat. And I'll be able to have "fresh" corn for a while now. You can bet this is not the last time I'll do this, even this season. While corn is cheap (10/$1) I'll stock up a few times. It was easy to do.

1 comment:

now it's your turn.