Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Proverbs 31:12

i had a lot to say today, so i'm just doing one verse.

P31:12: "She does him good and not harm, all the days of her life."

The work a woman does is not for her own good, but for the good of her whole family-- in this verse, her husband.

well, what i do in regards to homemaking (cleaning, coking, making lunches, etc.) makes me feel better about providing for my husband. but it's sort of selfish. i feel better when i do these things. he says he can take it or leave it. there's proof in this-- while i'm busy with work, school, etc, he helps around the house with dinner and laundry.

i make a point of reminding him that i still want to help. i'm terribly worried that i'll get into this habit of not working at home, so that when teaching and school is done, we'll be in the habit of husband doing the homemaking instead of me. this is not the way i want it to be. more importantly, it's not biblical. the man is supposed to do certain things for the family, just as the woman is supposed to do certain things for the family. i don't feel that those roles should be reversed in most situations.

reminder: this is my interpretation and analyzing of this verse. you don't have to agree. i am just comparing this against my life and encouraging myself to grow with this project. that being said, i still welcome comments and encourage you to leave whatever you're thinking after reading this.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I feel about the woman being the sole one to do "housework". At our house, we don't have a yard to tend and there isn't much car maintenance or house upkeep because we rent. So I appreciate when on Saturdays while I'm vacuuming, dusting, and making the bed that Will help unload and reload the dishwasher. Or maybe clean the bathroom. I like it when we can work side-by-side. I don't expect him to do it all, but I also don't think it should be my sole responsibility when there is very little we have to do to keep our household running. I don't feel like I should have to do tasks that are always "female" and he should always do "male" tasks. I think we should both always work together to get what needs to be done, done. I think thats what you're getting at as well, if I'm reading that right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though my husband has always helped with housework, I've always struggled with the notion that there is indeed "women's work" and "men's work". There's not really much he won't do around the house to help, but there are things I can't do. Car maintenance, mowing the yard, etc. (I can't even start the mower, much less push it around the uneven yard)In Bible days, there was a distinct separation, and it lasted for quite some time...take June Cleaver for instance. Ha. With the need for both spouses to work, the need to share the workload resulted. Nothing wrong with that. Just as if it works in your household/family, there's nothing wrong with having specific chores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's something to be said about "masculine" and "femenine" roles in the home. That's not to say that Erin and I live and die by these roles, or also that there's not room for freedom to move into other roles. One thing that I think Erin failed to mention (maybe fail is strong, but left out) is that the roles we take on are not of "obligation" to one another. They are acts of service to better the other's life. The idea of a marriage that is painted in the Bible is not of the woman forcefully submitting to the man out of fear, or obligation, but rather it's a mutual submission where both people wear different hats. It's a picture of two humble servants serving one another. God designed men and women to fit certain roles for a reason... because it works. The important thing is not that the woman do all of the housework, and the man does all the "manly stuff". The point is to be in constant submission to one another, serve one another, and be constantly repentant to God. The Proverb's 31 woman embraces this attitude, therefore she is blessed. And I think Erin (although she won't admit is) does a pretty darn good job of it too! Now, if she can just stop being so darn hard on herself... :)

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.