Monday, July 25, 2011

i feel like such a baby

i don't follow this blog, but i know the back story. you may, too.

from her profile:
I am: Returning from a near-fatal airplane crash, burned 80% of my body, and will have surgeries for the rest of my life. Probably. But I am alive. I cherish Mr. Nielson, Claire, Jane, Oliver, and Nicholas.

well, she just wrote a post. and in it, she talks about baring arms. literally. risking some sort of copyright infringement, i will just post her entire blog entry here.

I am doing it, throwing my cautions to the wind. I am now wearing short sleeves. I am sorry if I make you want to loose your lunch. My arms are not pretty, but they are mine. They are surviors and I am proud of them. So if you hppen to see me here (or in real life), I just want you to know I am emotionally and physically ready to show you my scars. Its time, and I am ready. I am OK about it.

do you see that? she's showing her scarred arms.
her arms that survived a fire.
her arms that are now scarred, wrinkled, discolored.

and she's okay with it.

you know what i won't do?
show my arms.
you know why?
because they're fat. jiggly. not toned or beautiful. and they have a few stretch marks on the underside. they're not my favorite.
but they're healthy.

if she doesn't have a problem showing her arms, why do i have such a problem showing mine? i'd love to wear tank tops in public. heck, i'd like to wear tank tops around my husband. a cute little halter dress would be perfect for the summer months.

but elbow-length sleeves it is.

i don't know how i should think right now.
should i be more willing to show my arms because someone who has a "real reason" to hide hers doesn't feel the need to hide them? or should i continue to struggle to find comfortable summer clothes that don't make me look ugly?

i'm much more vain than i thought i was.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. I don't know what to say or what the answer is. Just know that everyone who meets you (and probably some people you've never even met) thinks your beautiful just as you are. :)

    ReplyDelete

now it's your turn.